Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dear Dad,

About this time of year, I am reminded of this:


This is by far one of my favorite pictures of us. It's a favorite many reasons, but mainly because you are a giant lobster [I was "The Little Mermaid" and sadly the costume store did not have any giant "crab" costumes, so we settled for the next best thing]. I can definitely say that I know zero dads who would dress up as a giant lobster (and zip speakers blasting "Under the Sea" into their costume) just to match their daughter. I can't quite remember if I adequately thanked you back then, but please know how very thankful I am now. 

And not just for being a lobster, but thank you for your eternal spontaneity, never embarrassing easily and wearing pink because you're "so proud to have a daughter." Thank you for walking with me to get honeysuckle, introducing me to jazz music, helping me clean the guineas/bunnies/rats, taking me on house tours, playing along with my little lie when I told you that tiny elves came into your study and kicked all the books back (do you remember this? It was in our old house in your old study), for putting my playmobile house back together, for reading Tolkien and C.S. Lewis to me, for "UNDERDOGGIEEEES," for letting me buy numerous cans of lentil soup, for having conversations that are made up of only tangents, for not being scared to say "love ya" to your guy friends and for praying for my friends.

From writing me songs to giving giant hugs, from reminding me "Kendra, YOU make that dress look good," to telling me "Glad to be your dad!" you are, by far, the best dad in the world.

Thank you for everything.
I am, without a doubt, the luckiest daughter in the world (yeah yeah yeah yeaaaah).
K

3 comments:

Kara Kimball said...

i love this :) :)

and i love your dad...and that he prays for me and my soulmate :) :) :)

Jen said...

This is amazing :)

ChuckO said...

Kendra Babe! I am THRILLED and DELIGHTED and HUMBLED and GRATEFUL for your "Dear Dad" Blog! We HAVE been BLESSED to have had many, MANY, M A N Y fabulous experiences together and I'm SO glad that you have kept so many of them in your memories. That in itself is an answered prayer. Let's keep on reading and talking and playing and laughing and praying and doing "UNDERDOGGIES!!!" together. (AND Can we go to Colorado with the other Indian Princesses and Dads next spring?!) I AM glad to be your Dad, Happy to be your Pappy, Wild that you're my Child (etc., etc.). YOU make this Blog look good. Remember "WHAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING?! Pray and Love. Love "Dad'n".