Two evenings ago I made soup. I knew that I would be going away for the weekend [and I have been trying to not let my food go to waste] so I put everything that could possibly rot over the weekend in this pot and made the first ever (according to my Google search)
Dice, Spice and Everything Nice Soup
Here's How:
- Make (or buy from Trader Joes like I did) mirepoix {the french name for the combination of onions carrots and celery}
- Cook the mirepoix slowly over low heat in a large pot with olive oil
- add garlic (I like a lot)
- add anything else that you have in your refrigerator that might not make it through the weekend/anything that you like a lot
I added:
- spinach
- kale (chopped)
- tomatoes
- carrots (more after the mirepoix)
- asparagus*
- broccoli*
- garbanzo beans
- black beans
- rice
Finish by topping the soup off with vegetable broth and seasoning to your liking. I think salt and pepper together are underrated (they should be used like make-up, to bring out the flavor, not take over the flavor). I also added some white wine, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce.
Bring the whole thing to a boil. Stir, then reduce to a simmer for a few minutes.
Since I made the soup, I have carried it with me all weekend. It has faithfully followed me through two evenings and two long car rides before finding a home in my parents refrigerator.
Now that's nice.

3 comments:
i do truly love you. what a delightful idea - i cannot wait to try it myself :)
I was grocery shopping today and bought vegetable broth to make soup but didn't know what I should put in it. This looks delicious! I will have to try it!
Post a Comment