Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Hello Happy Ending!


 "I've lost everything: my job, my future, everything people think is important, but I don't care - because even if I have to dig ditches for the rest of my life, 
I shall be a ditch-digger who once had a 
wonderful day."

Cornelius Hackl // Hello Dolly!
{it was movie night again at the Not-So-Blue-Door}

There is something about musicals. Maybe it is the singing or dancing or the fact that people can do both in the middle of a park or street in big long dresses without even one strange look.
I used to wish I lived in a musical (most specifically Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... or Singing in the Rain or Bye Bye Birdie... actually I have practically wished myself into all happily ending musicals). I loved (and still love) how in musicals, it is not strange to fall in love in an instant. I love how in (most) musicals, everyone ends up with who they are supposed to be with (I will forever not understand how people can enjoy West Side Story).

It seems unfair that today we live in an age where a happy ending is a cliche. Why? Who decided that? 
Personally, I think we need to continue to celebrate happy endings!! Maybe that is why the divorce rate is rising... There are not enough happy endings to remind people that it is possible to have one!!

Trust me, I am not naive enough to think that "happily ever after" means endless blissful, carefree days. I recognize that there are bad days and debt and death... but there are also wonderful days of laughing and loving. And everything in between

If we are doomed to despair with all of the other non-"happily ever after" movies, then {to go back to an earlier question} why are we here? There has to be some hope in all of us that we too can have a happy ending!!

I may not be able to dance and sing in the street without getting a few strange looks -- but I will do my absolute best to make my ending, a very happy one. And I think you should too.

With so much love,
Kendra

No comments: