Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Y2K Syndrome

Sam calls it Y2K syndrome, I call it being prepared. This new “syndrome,” (I seem to have an unusual amount of invented syndromes, for more please see previous blogs) that I have inherited from my mother (why not her green eyes or full-body laugh?) where I am very afraid of running out of the food. Come to a party at my house and we have vats in the laundry room with back up soup or salad and a whole separate refrigerator in the garage for drinks. Now, you can come to my apartment and find a similar situation with soups, canned goods, bubbly water and vegetable broth. When Sam would go through my apartment cupboards, I would frequently hear exasperated “Kendra, why do you need (he is counting) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..8… 8 boxes of vegetable broth!? When do you even use vegetable broth!?”

Well, it is not too different here in Spain where Helen and I have to hoard our food in our room because Señora wont feed us more than what we eat in our allotted “breakfast/dinner” hours. We are currently waiting for her to vacate the kitchen in hopes that we can sneak the food we hid for ourselves last night. So in between now and when we can covertly eat our lunch, I am munching on one of my canned fruit cups (I have 14 stored away) because I am hungry. This is when it pays to have Y2K syndrome.

No comments: