Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

A Vegetarian & Gluten Free Thanksgiving!!

{the card I made for my dad}

I, like this turkey, am very thankful that my family loves me enough to forgo the "Traditional American Thanksgiving" because of my ethical/dietary restrictions. 

I still attempted to pay homage to the holiday by incorporating corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans into our feast!! In leu of turkey, we had tofu, and instead of stuffing we had balti sauce,  but other than that our meal was an excellent compromise.

The best part? The TWO desserts!!
{and my first time making pie!!}
Move over Martha because meatless & wheatless does not mean treatless.
We had pumpkin pie and apple pie [please see below].
 -- and not to toot my own horn, but the apple pie was flakey and melt-in-your-mouth fantastic. And so simple!! I'm thinking this will be my "We should definitely invite Kendra to the dinner party because she will bring that apple pie of hers" dish.

Here are some photos:

...starting with Gingers birthday eclairs. 

Gingey turned 13 yesterday and my mom got her little treats at the Three Dog Bakery 
to celebrate her big day.
We also sang to her and told her how beautiful she looked, 
both of which she throughly enjoyed.




... now to the human food.


... and the green bean balti 
Ingredients: green beans, tomatoes, balti sauce & marinated tofu [as I was short on time, I bought a store made Tandori   marinade and let it sit for 3 hours before cutting it into cubes and lightly frying it. When the tofu was added to the beans, it fell apart a bit which ended up being a good thing because it was less obtuse and was definitely less frightening for my mother.
{this was the first time that my mother ate tofu without gagging!!}




Pumpkin pie... with a HAND MADE GLUTEN FREE CRUST!!





Apple pie... entirely gluten free and entirely delicious. 
I had three helpings last night. So did my dad.
I CAN'T WAIT TO FEED IT TO MY UNSUSPECTING FRIENDS!!
It may be the flakiest, most buttery apple pie I have ever had. 
{or I could have just completely forgotten what flour tastes like}





... again, I'm so thankful for my family and friends. Thank you for putting up with me and my weird eating habits, and loving me more because of them.
Thank you thank you thank you.

No comments: