Do you ever find yourself wishing you were a wizard?
Because I do.
All the time.
I cried [hard] at the end of Harry Potter -- not because some of my favorite characters died or because it was over [I mean I definitely cried for both these reasons, but this was not the main reason] -- because we learned Aunt Petunia's story...
and I couldn't help but fiercely relate.
[If you have not read Harry Potter, and intend to {Taylor, Mom} please just skip on down to the next blog]
For those of you who don't remember [or for those of you who, for some abhorrent reason, don't plan on reading HP] Aunt Petunia wanted to be magical, just like her sister Lily (Harry's mom). She so desperately wanted to be a wizard that she wrote a letter to Dumbledore [the exact thing I would have done had I been young Petunia] but he could do nothing for her -- she simply wasn't magical.
Here is where I realized my fate: Regardless if a secret wizarding community actually exists [Sam and I debate this all the time] I would not/will never be a part of it.
I am simply not magical [this is not to say that I haven't tried unlocking/levitating/accio-ing everything around me because, apparently I have no shame, I have-- (and still do). And don't even begin to pretend that you didn't wait for your letter because I know you did, just like me].
The point is, I often find myself daydreaming about my alternate life as an active member of the wizarding world. {For example: whether I am walking up a steep hill or wishing I could avoid Los Angeles traffic, I constantly find myself wishing/wondering what life would be like if I could apparate.} My friends and family have come to accept the Harry Potter references that pop up in daily conversations and I have gotten fairly accostomed to daydreaming about the specific properaties of apparation.
All this is to say that tonight, I began to wonder [for a reason unbeknownst to even myself] if one had to have a specific destination in mind to apparate. Could we just picture a person and apparate to wherever they are? (Probably not or else He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his mingions would have been able to simply apparate to the good guys and vice versa).
But if I were a wizard (you would shudder to know how many sentences of mine begin like this), I would maybe take a leaf out of The Magicians Nephew and invent apparation rings so the wearers of the rings could break the apparation rules and simply envision their person [instead of a place] and arrive by their side in minutes.
Surprise!! Hope you're having a nice class in North Carolina!! I just came to take some notes and tell you that I love you!!
Surprise!! You're so right, this is such a great ab workout!! I'm so glad I apparated right when you were in the middle of your workout class!!
Surprise!! Whoopsie!! You finish in there... wait what? Extra toilet paper? I'm on it!!
Surprise!! I had a feeling you were having Thai food!!
why, Hogwarts, did you not see my potential?

3 comments:
i wish you COULD apparate and join in on my classes in north carolina...your notes of love are my saving grace this semester :) love you kitty
world record for mentioning HP in conversation with a stranger: 11 seconds.
we are one in the same with our wizarding wishes
:) :)
Let's start a school...
Post a Comment