Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of Halloween: Is anyone else sad to be a woman this time of year?

Because there is so much to love about Halloween, [my moms incredible decorating, singing dogs and dogs in costumes {see below} to name a few] I will start with 
the good:


I could not stop laughing.
If you have no idea what this is in reference to, dig yourself out of your echo-chamber and do some quick pop-culture enculturating [It would be sad to have a dog be more Halloween Hip than you :)]. Start by going here. And while that is a sad story, it has a happy ending here!



the bad:


What is she even supposed to be?
Don't say sailor, because I have definitely never seen a sailor wearing this. 

the ugly:


Really now? If you want to be political, there are so many other better options.
EASY: Get a witch hat, a cross neckless, a chastity belt and go as Christine O'Donnell 
HARDER: Enlist one of your friends to go as "The Devil" while you are Jan Brewer.
Tell everyone at the party that you are married.
{I have tried to get both Sam and Kara to do this... I'm still hoping!!}

HERE IS THE POINT/my question:
WOMEN, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF!? 
Come on ladies, you are sexy enough without hiking your skirt up to your hoo-ha. 
I went out last night and saw everything from "sexy disney characters" to a "sexy M&M"...?
WHY. M&M's were never meant to be sexy!! But thats not even the point. That is just an excuse to wear a green shirt over black underwear with stiletto heels. Again, WHY?
Over and over I hear women complaining about being objectified, or complaining that there are just no good guys out there, but really, if you were a guy, would you want to date a girl who had no problem waggling her v-jay around? If I were a guy, I think I would rather get serious with a girl that might at least try to keep some kind of mystery. 
Yes, I know what many of you might be thinking. "I'm strong and empowered and this sexy outfit is just how I am proving that!" Okay, maybe. But how many males are really thinking "Yeah, that chick in the undies is totally empowered." Now, I am not a male so I can't be sure, but I have many male friends and a father who is a Marriage and Family Therapist who frequently works with males, and I would make a guess that they are thinking less about how empowered you are and more about how they can get you drunk enough to take you home and "empower you" in a completely different way (completely different except for the underwear of course). 

I would like to make the argument that we cannot have it both ways. We cannot ask males to not objectify us, but then objectify ourselves. That makes absolutely no sense. Here you might be thinking "Well, it's up to him how he sees me" (and here I don't even really know if I agree with that but I still have a counter point for you) If we are the smarter sex (most signs [excepting the glass ceiling which you would be ignorant to claim is due to women's lack of intelligence] point to yes), then it is our responsibility to KNOW BETTER. 

If you want to go out dressed as Sexy Uncle Sam, fine.
It's your decision and if you see it as empowerment please write to me at kdosburn(at)gmail(dot)com because I would love to interview you.
 Just please don't turn around and complain about men objectifying you.
Take some responsibility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At one time I completely agreed with your opinion about girls running around with their slutty buddies on Halloween, showing off what they don't intend to give up. However, I think it has become the norm to look like a whore on Halloween, and I can't help but think it may have much to do with the way men expect the women to show up to a Halloween party. I don't know if this is too far-fetched and this might only be one of the many reasons girls dress like hookers on this night, but it seems like a girl might be more likely to dress up in revealing clothing if she is out to impress someone that night. Obviously this woman has freewill and is not being forced into booty shorts, but I can't let women take all the blame for looking like strippers on Halloween. I have to let some of the blame come towards the male gender as well. I believe we are equally at fault for the justification of degrading ourselves on nights such as Halloween. I don't know if I covered what I intended to but Kaitlin and I are going out to lunch, and that woman is paying for it!