Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sweet Corn, Spinach and Potato Balti



Balti Sauce
1 litre
3 tablespoons oil
4 garlic glove, crushed
(or four large) onions , chopped
4 tomatos, chopped
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspon ground tumeric
¼ teaspoon powdered chilli
½ teaspoon garam masala [I did not have/could not find this at the local grocery store so I mixed a little cumin and coriander and cinnamon together]
--Also, the recipe called for 2 bay leaves but I completely forgot. It was still great though!


Sweet Corn Balti
Corn [you can use fresh corn but as I was pressed for time, I used 2 cans of corn]
Potatoes [I used three large potatoes, cut into small sections (I cut the potato in half then sliced it) and about 12 mini purple and fingerling potatoes (from the farmers market!). Here I would suggest just using your own judgement. You know what you like I'm sure.]
Spinach, washed, blanched and chopped [again, to your liking. I used much more than the original recipe called for]
Olive Oil
-- Also, the recipe called for ginger and garlic, but I did have not either, or the time to prep them (I half cheated by adding some garlic powder and ground ginger). Again, it still tasted great! 
Balti Sauce [again, to your liking. I used four cups if not more. If you are eating this without rice, use less. If you are eating this with rice I would suggest more]


---
Instructions
---
Balti Sauce
Heat oil and fry ginger, garlic, onion.
Add 250ml water, simmer and add everything else and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf if you put it in. 
{this keeps in the refrigerator for over a week and in the freezer for over a month. It is an excellent base for any balti, such as the one below}


Sweet Corn Balti
Par cook the potatoes [I did this in the microwave -- bowl filled with water and cut potatoes (see above) for 7 ish minutes]
Heat oil in a large frying pan (or a balti wok), fry the garlic and add the par cooked potatoes pieces. Then add the ginger if you have it.
When the potato is browned to your liking, add the corn, balti sauce and blanched spinach. As soon as it is heated through its ready.


As this recipe yields A TON of food, eat with friends and enjoy!!


100% vegetarian and vegan
Omnivore tested and approved.


{recipe also found here}
{recipe modified from HERE }

No comments: